Music is an enjoyable and effective way to improve your English listening skills. Music exposes you to the natural rhythm, intonation, and pronunciation of English, and it is an excellent resource for learners of all levels. Here are some tips on how to improve your English listening skills through music.
Choose songs with clear lyrics: When selecting music to listen to, it is essential to choose songs with clear lyrics. Avoid songs with heavy use of slang or difficult-to-understand accents. Pop songs and ballads are usually a good choice for learners.
The Englished App has a huge variety of English content, including music, news, videos, books, and podcasts with side-by-side translations and transcripts.
Englished Books, News, Videos, and Songs in English with Transcripts and Translations
- Listen actively: When listening to music, it’s essential to listen actively. Focus on the lyrics and try to understand the meaning of the words. Pay attention to the pronunciation and intonation of the singer.
- Read the lyrics: Reading the lyrics of a song can help you understand the meaning of the words and phrases. You can find the lyrics of most songs online. Reading the lyrics while listening to the song can also help you pick up new vocabulary and idioms.
- Sing along: Singing along to a song is a great way to practice your pronunciation and intonation. You don’t have to have a beautiful singing voice; just focus on getting the words and rhythm right.
- Use karaoke apps: Karaoke apps like Smule and SingSnap allow you to sing along to your favorite songs and record your performance. You can also listen to other people’s performances and learn from their pronunciation and intonation.
- Watch music videos: Watching music videos can help you understand the meaning of the lyrics better. Many music videos have a storyline that can help you visualize the meaning of the words.
- Listen to different genres: Listening to different genres of music can expose you to different accents, dialects, and vocabulary. Experiment with different types of music to find what you enjoy and what helps you learn best.
Most mainstream songs center around the same topics, with basic and intermediate vocabulary, so having a mobile app, such as this will help you to learn the most commonly used words effortlessly.
3000 Most Common Words with 60000 example sentences, various practices, notifications, goals and spaced repetition
In conclusion, music is a fun and effective way to improve your English listening skills. Choose songs with clear lyrics, listen actively, read the lyrics, sing along, use karaoke apps, watch music videos, and listen to different genres. By incorporating music into your English learning routine, you can improve your pronunciation, intonation, and vocabulary, and have fun at the same time.